The Díaz-Flores Mansion

The Díaz-Flores Mansion

In the 1850s, the Canarian businessman Mr. Antonio Díaz-Flores y Cartaya built a spectacular large mansion that could be stylistically framed in romantic classicism. This magnificent palace, built on Calle Colegio de la Orotava, the epicenter of all the large mansions of the landowning aristocracy of the Orotava Valley, in the north of the island of Tenerife, would become his residence once he married, in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, with Mrs. Antonia Vera Espinosa, with whom he had three children.

Mr. Antonio, a native of Fasnia, where he was born on November 3, 1809, made his fortune in Venezuela, where he dedicated himself to various business and financial activities. The legend says that when the time came, he decided to return to his native island by hiring a sailboat, probably in the port of La Guaira, which he filled with noble woods, mostly mahogany, and where he transported his previously melted gold coins in the form of nails to avoid suspicion and greed.

The point is that such an egregious mansion, one of the largest in Orotava with its 1,900 m2 distributed over three floors and its solemn central courtyard enclosed in a gallery on tea wood pillars and which was built where once and from the beginning of the 18th century, around the year 1709, the former Jesuit college of La Orotava "Luis de Gonzaga" was established and where, after the confiscation of Mendizábal, the city council itself was established until the terrible fire that devastated the site in 1841; It has had a thousand and one functions and uses.

Thus, in its early days as a family mansion, this great manor house in Tenerife was known as "La Magnolia", but as time went by the house ended up being rented from 1862 to Mr. José Govéa who converted it in something similar to a hotel that received illustrious visitors such as General Serrano who was president of the Spanish government and, according to gossip, a lover of Queen Elizabeth II of Spain. Also featured as an illustrious guest of this house is the British naturalist painter, Ms. Marianne North, and the no less distinguished explorer Mr. Richard Burton, linked to the exploration of the Nile River in the midst of the expansion of the British Empire, back in 1875.

There are many stories that could be told by the ancient walls of this fascinating mansion in Tenerife, so full of history and experiences, but I prefer the serene beauty of its historic urban garden, with its regal location overlooking the beautiful Orotava valley, with the floral motifs sculpted in stonework on the jambs of the portal that flanks the large wooden gate that gives access to this historic mansion in Tenerife, with its halls from another era, with the extreme sobriety of its facade with “blue basalt” stone corners and above all with the fact that currently its owners since the beginning of the 20th century, the Brier family, have this jewel of Canarian architecture for sale for the modest price of 1.8 million euros.

Photos: www.idealista.com